Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Barbecued sea-bass


The other weekend we were ready to inaugurate my husband’s new toy – a huge gas barbecue grill. We invited some friends over who not only helped us install it but also lent their expertise in cooking on this gigantic machine. One of the recipes on the grill was Chilean sea-bass marinated with Indian spices.

Ingredients:

Chilean sea bass – steak cut – 1 lb
Dry rub spice – I used Shan’s Lahori fish masala (if you want to create your own, go with a dry rub by mixing turmeric, parika, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, garam masala, red pepper flakes)
Olive oil to turn the dry spice mix into a sticky paste
Crushed garlic cloves – 2

Chilean sea-bass is quite an oily fish in itself and hence requires very little oil to cook. This fish cooks very easily and is super-soft to the palate when cooked properly. The little, wandering, softness testing machine that I have at home gulps it down, so that tells me this prepared dish rates high on the scale. Otherwise, it would be spat right on the floor ☺

It is important to get a good quality sea-bass. There is a reason some varieties are more expensive! I typically cook this fish by broiling both sides for 7-8 minutes each. When we had our new grill that weekend, I decided to give it a try.

All ingredients were enclosed in a Ziploc plastic bag and tossed around. I covered the grill with a sheet of aluminum foil and sprayed some nonstick spray over it. After the grill attained a good heating temperature (~300F), the fish was laid out on the aluminum foil. After grilling each side for about 6 minutes, I checked for the doneness. The fish will start flaking and that's when you should take it out. If you leave it longer on the grill or oven, it will start to become chewy.

I tossed on some asparagus on the side as well to go with the wish.

I guess I can describe the output in just one sentence – “It melted in my mouth!”

2 comments: