Friday, November 5, 2010

Tangy black beans




Legumes are a common ingredient in our daily meals at home.  Because they are rich in proteins,  they are often are able to  serve as a main course in accompaniment  with rice or bread.  While staring at a can of cooked black beans, I started wondering why don’t I make the usual daal-style black beans but add a little bit of tanginess – ‘Chatpata’ as they would call in Hindi.

‘Tamarind’ or 'Imli' , a ripened fruit that is often used in Indian chats and chutneys, is my secret ingredient for this recipe. I already had some dried at home. If you do not have this already, go ahead ... do not be shy and borrow some from your Indian friend! So, I set forth to make this simple yet sumptuous meal. Beans are also easy for toddlers to eat – they can pick one at a time and eat it themselves without having to chew much!

Ingredients:
Canned black beans – 1 (organic)
Chopped onions – one-fourth of a medium size
Ginger-garlic paste – 1tsp
Tomatoes – Half chopped
Cilantro – 1 tbsp
Salt  to taste
Turmeric – 1tsp
Cumin powder – 2tsp
Corriander powder – 2tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Dried tamarind – 1 inch (deseeded dried pulp)
Green thai chillies – 2 chopped (optional)
Butter – 1tsp (optional)
Water as needed
Olive oil – 2tbsp

I heated some olive oil in a saucepan and cooked the ginger, garlic and onions for about 5 minutes. Then I added the dried powdered spices (turmeric, cumin, corriander, garam masala) and sautéed for another 3 minutes. At this point, I added the beans (no need to throw the water away if you are using organic), salt, tamarind and water (about half cup was enough). I boiled the legumes for about 15 minutes and added water to prevent burning. When it reached a desired amount of dryness, I added freshly chopped tomatoes, cilantro & chillies. Put the butter directly on the beans and it will melt to heavenly goodliness.

This dish goes amazingly well with rice , roti or tortilla. If you are one of those home-makers like me who feels gratified and successful on serving a wholesome meal to the family, you will love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment