Monday, August 9, 2010

Cooking Together: Saffron rice & Taco-spiced Tilapia




Ladies, tell me – how exciting is it when you arrive home and see your better half preparing dinner?! This was my experience last week. On arriving home, I found my husband preparing some tilapia fillets for dinner. I was ecstatic! When I asked him what he was making – he said he was going to pan-sear the fish with Taco spices. I thought – “interesting…. this is going on my blog”. ☺

As a way of showing appreciation, I decided to make some Saffron rice to go with the fish and some sautéed bell peppers which would be ready by the time the fish was done.

INGREDIENTS:

Taco-spiced tilapia
Tilapia filet – 2
Taco spice – half packet
Bread crumbs
Olive oil
Garlic cloves crushed (fresh)
Non-stick spray

Saffron rice
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Water – 2.5 cups
Turmeric – a pinch
Slivered Almonds – 2 tbsp
Saffron – 6-7 strands
Butter/Indian ghee – 1tsp
Salt & sugar to taste
Bay leaf – 1

My husband made a paste of the taco-spice, bread crumbs, freshly crushed garlic and olive oil. He heated a non-stick pan and sprayed non-stick cooking spray on it. Using a silicone basting brush, he basted the spice baste on one side of the fish filet and placed it on the pan, spice side down for about 5 minutes. Then he basted the other side with the spices. I tossed on some green bell peppers on the side of the pan. After searing one side of the fish, he flipped the filet and seared it for another 5 minutes. When the fish started to flake, he plated them.

For the saffron rice, I added all the ingredients together and placed it in a microwaveable glass bowl covered with a paper plate. Then I microwaved the saffron rice for approximately 20 minutes (covered), checking after 10-15 minutes to ensure there was enough water.

It was fun cooking together that evening and we had a simple yet very delicious meal for the family ready in less than half an hour.

1 comment:

  1. For the rice, I forgot to mention that you can add some whole cinnamon, cloves, cardamom or black peppers. These are essential ingredients of garam masala but just be careful not to use too much - a piece of each or a few pieces of anyone should do.

    ReplyDelete