Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Naan Pizza


This recipe was a result of my efforts to make something easy yet attractive for dinner. By now, you must have guessed that it was yet another day of futile efforts to make my toddler eat something. Pizza works wonder with kids and if you want to give some protein along with that, this recipe maybe just for you!  I have eaten the Indian version of Pizza Hut back in my home country, and I have found it a lot more flavorful compared to its counterpart here. Last week was my chance to make it.

Ingredients:

Topping:
Minced chicken breast - 0.5lb
Onions - half of a medium sized one (chopped)
Olive oil - 3tbsp
Crushed garlic cloves - 1
Garam masala - 1tsp
Salt & paprika to taste

Naan bread - 2
Pasta/marinara sauce as required
Shredded cheese - cheddar & monterey jack mixed
Mozarella strings - 2
Basil leaves - 3-4 leaves

For the topping, I added all in the ingredients and sauteed them on medium heat for about 15 minutes. It was then set aside.

For the pizza base, I had come across these cooked Naan at the bread aisle of Whole Foods Market. All I needed to do to prepare them was to bake them for 2 minutes in a pre-heated oven of 400F. I was so passionate about cooking that day, and giving that authentic pizza taste, that out came my pizza stone from the cabinets. How women hoard their kitchen with things that they use probably once a year!

Anyway, before I digress... I spread the pasta sauce (Bertoli's) on the baked naan and added the chicken and cheese. The mozzarella strings were just there at home as a snack for my toddler so I decided to use two of them. Just cut them into little rounds. The assembled pizza was baked for about 5 minutes in the preheated oven and then broiled at 550F for an additional minute and a half.  Out came the pizza and I sprinkled some torn basil leaves and quartered it chef-style with a pizza cutter! We even used some left over pepper flakes.

Dinner was not only tasty that day but super fun too. Nothing like a family eating pizza together (albeit some members may just be playing with the food than eating) :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I forgot to add that I also added some fresh sliced tomatoes as one of the toppings

    ReplyDelete