Thursday, July 25, 2013

Maa's french toast (Indian style)



My friends often ask me what snacks or lunches I provide to my soon-to-be kindergartener. I smile and empathize because that is one question that probably goes through the minds of most iMoms, who have kids of school-going age. There are several things to consider -- is it healthy enough, am I providing a balanced diet, is it going to comeback unfinished and then, the dreaded word, 'boring'.

I am lucky in that I have a readily available list of snacks to pack for school. The credit goes to my mom, who provided me home-made snacks every day when I returned from school. I loved them so much that I would often make them my dinner :) I am sure all my readers will vouch for the fact that kids are the most hungry when they are being picked up from school :) French toast, dosa, paratha, noodles, poori....the list was endless. We never grew up on junk and luckily or unluckily, the way you see it, I have managed to pass on that tradition. We call it 'real' food at our home now :) and it is in high demand whenever the four-year old is super hungry. And guess what, you have to have it ready in an instant! I have often heard of women wishing they had ten hands like Maa Durga but does anyone wish they had ten heads like Ravan? I feel I would benefit more from the latter :D.

Ingredients (makes 4-6 little triangles):

Egg - 1
Wheat bread - 1 slice
Cilantro - 4-5 tender twigs
Onions (prefer red) - one sixth of a medium sized one
Baby carrots - half
Salt to taste
Saffola or other oil to fry

The reason I like this as a snack is because it literally takes 10 minutes from start to finish. In a magic bullet blender,  add the cilantro, onion, baby carrot, salt and egg and blend until the mixture turns to a fine puree. Heat oil for shallow frying. On one side of the bread, apply the egg mixture and let it soak on the bread. When the oil is hot enough, shallow fry with egg side down. Put mixture on the side of the bread facing you and flip.

Now, parents may be concerned about giving fried food to their kids. I, on the other hand, am perfectly fine as long as it is done in moderation and made from fresh ingredients at home. The wheat bread and carrots are my 'healthier' additions to the original recipe. If you have a little of the mixture left, make some little triangles for yourself --  go ahead and indulge :) I tell myself it is a reward for that healthy meal I had last night, or the exercise routine I did day before yesterday or whatever :)

I served this dish as a snack when I picked up my daughter from school last week and the dazzling smile to see the 'surprise' snack was just cherry on top.


3 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe, 4 year old or 24 year old :-) Also a frittata could be easily made without the bread if needed, less oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Artistic Mind: True...love this myself..the frittata idea is awesome...have to try it

      Delete